ICMR STS registration process has started and here are few FAQs that has been compiled for your ease.
1. When do the STS registrations begin?
The registration for STS 2022 has already begun and the last date for registration is 11th February 2022 and last date for protocol submission is 21st February 2022.
2. How do I choose the topic for my research?
Students are free to choose any topic related to medical/dental research depending on their research interest. The topic should be relevant and should lead to creation of new knowledge or help in gaining new knowledge or skills by the student. Research should not be carried out on well-established/ known facts.
3. What types of studies I can undertake as ICMR STS project?
Students can select any one of the following study types Study type: • Clinical Investigations • Epidemiological Investigations • Field Operational Research • Health Education • Laboratory Investigations • Product Development • Therapy and Management • Any other, please specify
4. What subject areas once can choose as part of ICMR STS project?
The students can select any of the following subject areas Subject area: • Accident, Injuries & Trauma • Allied Science • Anatomy & Forensic medicine Anaesthesia • Bioinformatics & Biostatistics • Biochemistry • Child Health/Pediatrics & its Subspecialties • Critical & Intensive Care & Nursing • Cardiology (includes surgical areas) • Dermatology & Venereal Diseases • Education & Advocacy • Endocrinology • Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT) • Environment & Occupational Health • Gastroenterology & Hepatology • Geriatrics • Gynecology & Obstetrics • Hematology • Human Genetics • Microbiology/Immunology/Immunization • Nephrology & Urology • Neurology • Obesity, Nutrition & Dietetics • Oncology, Pathology & Cytology • Ophthalmology • Surgery • Traditional Medicine • Oral health, pediatric dentistry, endodontics, periodontology, orthodontics, • oral surgery, and prosthodontics • Orthopedics • Pharmacology • Physiology • Public Health & Epidemiology • Pulmonology & Respiratory Medicine • Psychology, Mental Health & Socio-Behavioral Research • Radiology • Social & Preventive Medicine • Any other, please specify
5. I want to apply for STS, is there any nationality criteria?
ONLY Indian National MBBS/BDS students studying in recognised medical/dental colleges of India can apply for STS. Students who are holding OCI cards/ PIO cards/ NRI’s studying in Indian Medical/Dental College can also apply. Students from foreign medical/dental colleges are not eligible for this program.
6. How do I apply ONLINE for STS?
Please visit ICMR website (www.icmr.nic.in) and go to through all the information/ instructions under STS link, register your email address and then apply ONLINE. Link: http://22.214.171.124:84/
7. I don’t have my email id, may I use my friends/parents/other relative’s email id for registration?
Students should use their email id and in case they do not have an email they may create a new e-mail id before registration. They should remember their email id and its password and be able to access their account.
8. What is the eligibility criteria to apply for STS?
• Undergraduate medical students (MBBS/BDS) • Not yet appeared in their final exams. • Paramedical/ dental/ non-medical/ students of other courses are not eligible.
9. I am a final year MBBS/BDS student and going to begin my internship in January or February around the time of submission? Am I eligible for applying?
No, you will not be eligible.
10. I am a BDS student. Am I eligible to apply for STS?
From the year 2019 onwards, BDS students are eligible to apply for STS.
11. What is the last date for registration/proposal submission for year 2022?
Last date for registration : 11th February 2022 Last date for proposal submission: 21st February 2022
12. I was not selected for STS this year. Can I apply again?
A student can apply each year till he/ she appears in the final year exams. However interns are not eligible.
13. What information is needed at the time of registration?
Registration form is divided into three sections Login Details: Student’s active email id and mobile number. Course Details: Student name, course, college name and address. Personal Details: Student’s date of birth and residence address. Kindly note that Guide’s details/ title of proposal/ other details are not required at the time of registration.
14. I am trying to open ICMR website but it’s not working. What should I do?
This may happen if your internet browser is not updated. Kindly update your internet browser or try to access STS link from another location/ computer system.
15. During the registration process/ proposal/ report submission, I got a message that web page has expired/ session time out. What does it mean?
You would get a time limit of 20 minutes to fill up and submit the online form. Kindly have everything ready for submission and complete the process in the given time. If the opened window is kept idle for more than 20 minutes then the page will show error upon clicking anything after that. And you will need to start all over again. So keep all the documents and information ready before starting proposal or report submission. You would get a time limit of 20 minutes to fill up and submit the online form. Kindly have everything ready for submission and complete the process in the given time. If the opened window is kept idle for more than 20 minutes then the page will show error upon clicking anything after that. And you will need to start all over again. So keep all the documents and information ready before starting proposal or report submission.
16. How do I know that my on-line registration is successful? Do I get any acknowledgement upon submission of on-line form?
Yes, you will get a confirmation message on your computer screen and an automated email will also sent into your registered e-mail ID. In case after successful submission is done and you do not receive email then please send an email for the same to firstname.lastname@example.org.
17. I have successfully registered for STS. How can I change my registered details?
You will get an opportunity to make a change in your registered details at the time of proposal submission. After proposal has been submitted you may send an email request to email@example.com for changing previously registered details. However registered email address will not be changed.
18. I have successfully registered for STS, how can I submit my proposal/ when will the proposal submission start?
The submission will begin after the registration period is over. Proposal submission starts on 21st January 2022 and last date is on 21st February 2022.
19. Can one guide take two students or can submit two projects for STS?
Please note that one student should register once and submit only one proposal. Similarly one guide can take one student under him/ her each year. In case duplicate names of student or guide are found all applications will be automatically rejected.
20. Can I take a Co-Guide for my STS project?
You can have a co-guide however, ICMR recognises only the main guide as this is a short term project for undergraduate MBBS/BDS students.
21. Can I jointly submit a project with another student?
No this is not permitted.
22. Can my project be a part of a larger project of my guide which is ongoing and has been approved by the ethics committee? Can I submit the same ethics committee approval?
Your project can be a part of a larger project; however the exact work done by the student should be specified. NOTE: A separate Ethics Committee approval is required for the student’s project with the exact title and the Ethics Committee letter should also mention name of the student and Guide.
23. My registered E-mail ID has been blocked/ lost/ forgotten/ incorrect. Can I register again with a new E-mail ID?
The program automatically searches for duplicate registration and all duplicate entries will be deleted. In case you need to register again you must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request to cancel your incorrect previous registration. In case the registration period is over you may send an email to email@example.com for changing previously registered email-id.
24. Can I submit a clinical trial protocol under STS?
No, this is not permitted. All regulatory clinical trials fall under the preview of Drugs & Cosmetics Act & Rules and should not be conducted by an undergraduate student.
25. What identifying details should be removed from the proposal/report?
Name and Contact details of student/guide should not be present in the proposal/report (including name, address, email-ID, telephone number). Name of medical/dental college or Department may be present if relevant to the objectives of the study.
26. I want to know that Part B (Guide details) should be filled up by Guide or self?
Part B (Guide details) may be filled up by the student or the guide.
27. What are the types of attestation forms?
Application Attestation Form (AAF) is to be submitted with the research proposal Report Attestation Form (RAF) is to be submitted along with the report.
28. Should my photograph on the Application/Report attestation form be attested?
Attestation of photograph is not required.
29. I am trying to submit a proposal/ report from the hostel but whenever I am clicking on STS link it’s not working. Please suggest what should I do?
It is possible that STS online link IP is blocked in your institution or in your locality due to some security reasons. In such case you should request your network administrator to unblock IP address or try to submit from another place/location.
30. At the time of uploading proposal/ report, I clicked refresh button, and after that I got an error message. How do I know if the submission has been done?
On successful completion you will get an automated message as well as an email will be sent to your email address. Kindly do not press refresh button while uploading or when the submission process is going on.
31. When proposal/ report result will come out?
Result for proposals will be announced around early April every year and for the report around last of February every year. For more details please read the updated notifications on the ICMR website.
32. My proposal has been selected. Can I make some changes to aims/ objectives or methodology?
Minor changes may be acceptable. You may however need to take permission from the ethics committee for any changes. Major changes will not be permitted. You must inform (with appropriate justification/reason) regarding the changes at the time of report submission. These will be reviewed and may or may not be accepted.
33. Result has been declared and my STS proposal has been selected to carry out research between April-September. Do I need to submit anything during this period before submitting my final report?
No, you do not have to submit anything now. You must obtain an ethics committee approval before beginning your research. You are free to complete your work during any 2 months between April- September every year and submit the report before given last date. At the time of report submission, you will be required to submit all documents including ethical clearance or other information like change of guide etc. (IEC clearance should be obtained before 15th August 2022)
34. Ethics committee has not held any meeting yet? Can I submit the ethical clearance later?
Ethics committee approval should be obtained any time between January-April before beginning your research work. Submission of ethical clearance at the time of submission of application/proposal is optional. However before beginning research the ethics committee approval is mandatory and should be obtained. A copy of the same must be submitted along with the report. No research should be done if ethics committee has not given the clearance. Report on research carried out without the ethical clearance or late approval by IEC’s which does not give 2 months’ time for research or for any other such reason, the report may not be accepted. IEC approval should be obtained before 15th August 2022.
35. Due to some reasons I am unable to work in my college. Can I now change site of study and complete my work in another Institution?
No you cannot, you can do STS from the same Medical/Dental College you are studying in. In case you are transferred to other Medical/Dental College, then Approvals from all Higher Authority of the new colleges, new Guide will be required and to be sent to ICMR for approvals.
36. I would like to work with another institute/ outside my medical college. How do I do that?
The student and his/her Guide from the same medical/dental college are free to work in collaboration with another Institute after obtaining due approval from the other Institution/College. Kindly note that in such cases IEC approval will be required from both the Institutions. In case project involves field work in nearby areas and no other Institution is involved, then the ethics committee of the medical/dental college should be willing to review and monitor the work, taking responsibility of the safety and welfare of the research participants.
37. Can a parent if working as a faculty in the same college, become a guide of his or her child?
Preferably the parent should not be the guide of his or her child in view of conflict of interest, however permission of college authorities may be taken for exceptional reasons and the conflict of interest may be declared to the ethics committee.
38. Do I need to submit all the raw data in excel sheet?
No, it is not required. You may extract the relevant data and present it in the tabular form in the report.
39. Do I need to submit completed case record forms and signed informed consent forms from all the participants?
No, you need to only submit one blank unsigned consent form/ case report form. Names or any confidential information about patients/ research participants should not be submitted.40. My guide has left/moved/transferred from medical college. May I change my guide?
40. My guide has left/moved/transferred from medical college. May I change my guide?
Yes, the student may approach another faculty member who fullfills eligibility criteria from the same department and same college and take permission of college authorities regarding the change. You do not need the permission of ICMR for this change. However you need to inform ICMR regarding this before report submission time through email and also update the same details at the time of report submission. The student must carry out the research in his/ her own medical/dental college under the guide who is employed in the medical/dental college as a faculty. Only permanent full time faculty members working in any of the Department of the Medical/Dental College where the student is enrolled can act as the guide.
41. How do I inform ICMR regarding the change of guide?
If there is a change of guide you will be able to provide the details of new guide in the ONLINE Report Submission Form at the time of report submission between August – October. You will also be required to provide reasons for this change. There is no need to put this information in the STS report or to send information to us by email.
42. How to combine and merge files into one PDF?
• Within Acrobat, click on the Tools menu and select Combine Files. • Click Combine Files, and then click Add Files to select the files you want to include in your PDF.. • Click, drag, and drop to reorder the files and pages. • When finished arranging files, click Combine Files. • Many free tools are available on web, through these tools you can also merge files into one PDF.
43. How to make/ reduce the size of the pdf file?
Student can make use of internet or available software’s/ tools for making/ reduce the size of pdf file as many free tools are available through internet. In case you have a difficulty, kindly take help from computer personnel.
44. How to insert image file into word document?
• Open the Microsoft Word. • Choose the “Insert” tab and from that menu ribbon select “Picture” option. • Browse your graphic file. • Choose your image, and then click Insert.
45. How to insert excel file data table/graphs/charts in the word document?
• In Excel, select the worksheet data/graphs/chart that you want to copy to a word document. • On the Home tab, in the clipboard group, click copy. Keyboard shortcut: you can also press CTRL+C. • In the word document, click where you want to paste. • On the Home tab, in the clipboard group, click paste or paste special. Keyboard shortcut: you can also press CTRL+V
46. I have forgotten my password to login for STS, what should I do?
Please clink on “I forgot my password?” link on STS login page. Enter your registered email id and press “Recover Password” button. An automated email will be sent to your registered email account with your password.
47. What should be the name of the files which I want to upload?
There is no specific requirement; you are free to choose any file name.
48. I have attached the documents online; do I have to send the hard copy as well?
No, since STS is an online paperless program, there is no need to submit hard copies of the documents.
49. I do not have a bank account, may I use my parent’s/guide’s or /other’s account?
Payments will be made online, only to the STUDENT’S OWN SINGLE HOLDER nationalized bank account. The payment of stipend will be made by RTGS only and therefore it is essential for the student to have a bank account in his/ her name only. PARENT’s/GUIDE’s ACCOUNT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
50.I have a joint bank account with my parent’s/other’s. May I give the bank details of joint account?
No joint account will be accepted.
51. What does cancelled cheque mean and why is it needed?
A cancelled cheque is one, in which the word “Cancelled” is written over it and should not be signed or dated. By writing the word cancelled over the cheque, no one can misuse it. However, the information on the cheque is required by ICMR account department to verify the account number, cheque number, IFSC and MICR codes etc.
52. Can I publish the results of my study?
You are free to publish a paper/ present your work in conferences without seeking permission from ICMR. However you must acknowledge the support received from ICMR under STS program for your research and send a reprint of your paper to ICMR for records.
53. My report has been accepted. Will it be published by ICMR in its journal/ bulletin?
Kindly note that there is no procedure for automatic publication of STS reports in ICMR journal/ bulletin. In case you want to publish, you may consult your guide and identify a suitable journal and write up a paper for submission as per journal requirements.
54. My research paper has been selected for presentation in an International conference; can I get travel fellowship from ICMR?
Several Government agencies including ICMR offer travel scholarships, however these fellowships are not linked to STS program. You may visit the website to obtain further details and apply accordingly.
55. When will I receive my e-certificate?
e-Certificates will be issued online on STS portal after declaration of report results (around September or October every year) and an email will be sent to students informing about the same. The students will be requested to login with their credential and download their respective e-certificates from the ICMR-STS website.
56. When will I receive my stipend and at which address?
About 3 months (around June) after report results are declared stipend will be transferred through online mechanism into the student’s own single holder bank account as per details provided in the online submission form. An email will also to sent to inform the students at that time.
57. Will my STS report be evaluated by ICMR before I can get stipend/certificate?
Yes, stipend/e-certificate shall be issued only to those students whose report is approved by Experts after evaluation. In case the report is not accepted by ICMR, no stipend/e-certificate will be issued to the student.
58. Who will bear the cost of my research?
The cost of research is to be borne by the medical/dental college/department where the research will be conducted. The student should discuss the same at the beginning itself with College Research administration and his/her Guide, before submitting STS research proposal to ICMR.
59. Do I need to submit original bills/ receipts of my expenses?
No these are not required.
60. My address has recently changed. How do I inform ICMR regarding this?
You will have the opportunity to edit/ update your address in the online form at the time of report submission or if the change is after report submission you may send details of your new address by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
61. Whom do I contact in case of any queries?
Contact information is provided on ICMR-STS website main page. http://126.96.36.199:84/
62. Will the efforts of my guide be recognized?
To recognise the efforts of the Guide, his/her name is printed in the STS Certificate. Co-Guides are not recognized by ICMR for STS Program. The Certificate will be issued only to the Student whose report will be selected. However the Guide can keep a Xerox /scan copy of the same.
63. Is Part D submission and final report submission are same?
The part D submission is protocol submission with all annexures. Final report is the final document that you submit after completing your project with your study’s result.
These FAQs have been taken from ICMR website and some fine-tuning or additions made to cover few aspects over and above.
The original FAQs can be accessed from the following link http://188.8.131.52:84/FAQ.aspx
All the best with your STS project!!